D030 Leadership and Management in Complex Healthcare Systems
Intro: Nurse leaders have many opportunities to develop innovative organizational projects. For this assessment, you will assume the role of a nurse leader who is interested in starting a new nursing service line. The proposed nursing service should meet the following criteria:
- can be any service that meets a demonstrated patient health need
- contains a major nurse-led component
- has the ability to generate revenue that is sustainable
Here are a few examples of the diverse opportunities for organizational growth:
- physical and mental health services provided through wellness centers
- vascular access care services
- diagnosis-specific support clinics
- nurse-directed medical day care services
- wound care services
- diabetes management services
- care coordination for supervising and evaluating interdisciplinary care services
- home health and hospice services
- Provide an introduction to your proposed nursing service line by doing the following:
- Describe your nursing service idea, the purpose of the nursing service line, and the effective leadership skills and approaches needed to implement the plan using a diverse staffing model.
- Explain why the service will be important to the population it will serve.
- Provide a market analysis that includes the target population, potential referral bases, and potential competitors for the planned service.
- Using an interprofessional focus, analyze the following strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) to the service line:
- fourinternal factors that are potential strengths of the nursing service line
- fourinternal factors that are potential weaknesses of the nursing service line
- fourexternal factors that are potential opportunities for the nursing service line
- fourexternal factors that are potential threats to the nursing service line
- Provide a narrative of the SWOT analysis information identified in part C and discuss the following:
- how the strengths can be used to maximize (take advantage of) the opportunities and minimize (decrease) the threats
- how the weaknesses can be improved by maximizing (taking advantage of) the opportunities and minimizing (decreasing) the threats
- Perform a cost-benefit analysis of the nursing service line for eachof the following areas:
- the organization, including three logical costs and threelogical benefits
- day-to-day operations, including fivelogical costs and five logical benefits
- Complete a risk assessment that describes fiverisks that may adversely affect the success of the nursing service plan and identify the possible results of the risks along with onestrategy for each risk to minimize that risk.
- Provide a narrative summary of the nursing service line’s first year of financial projections. Include the following in your summary:
- an explanation of the methods that will be used to generate revenue for the nursing service line.
- a discussion of the revenue projections for the first year of operation.
- Graph how you predict the nursing service line will grow in the first year.
Note: To create the graph, you may use one or a combination of the following:
- a spreadsheet program, such as Excel (*.xls)
- a graphics program, such as Paint (*.jpeg, *.gif)
- a word-processing program, such as Word (*.rtf)
- Identify the financial payers for the nursing service line.
- Provide a first-year operational expense budget including a description and cost of threepersonnel expenses and fiveother-than-personnel (OTP) expenses.
- Create a pie chart of the first year’s personnel expenses and OTP expenses that proportionally reflects allof the identified expenses for eachcategory.
- Explain key performance indicators (KPIs) of the nursing service line by doing the following:
- Detail KPIs for the service plan using the structure, process, and outcome model by describing oneKPI for eachcategory (i.e., structure, process, and outcome) that can be used to measure the success of the project.
- Describe how each KPI from part H1 can be measured and how often.
- Discuss how the data from each KPI from part H1 should be analyzed to guide future decisions regarding the nursing service line in meeting organizational performance indicators.
- Describe onesystem-level (i.e., organizational) strategy necessary to support staff improvement and to improve interprofessional teams.
- Outline the start-up tasks and timelines for the nursing service line that includes the following:
- 10tasks that should be completed before the launch of the nursing service line utilizing a diverse staff mix
- the title of the individual who will be responsible for completing eachtask
- a logical timeline for eachtask
- the frequency of status meetings with the individual responsible for the task
- Provide an executive summary that is appropriate for a leadership audience that includes summaries of the following aspects:
- the proposed nursing service line
- the results of the market analysis
- the results of the SWOT analysis
- the results of the cost-benefit analysis
- the results of the risk assessment
Note: Use the information completed in parts A–E to complete the executive summary.
- Include a reference page at the end of the report that lists at leastfivereferences to academically appropriate sources used to complete this task.
- Submit your service plan template in APA style, including but not limited to the title page, headers, in-text citations, and references.
- Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of the submission.
Nursing Service Plan Brief for
[Enter the Name of Your Proposed Service]
Western Governors University
D030: Leadership and Management in Complex Healthcare Systems
Dr. [Instructor/Senior Instructor Name]
Date [Month DD, 20YY]
Service Plan Brief for [Enter the Name of Your Proposed Service]
Proposed Nursing Service Idea
|Target Population||Potential Referral Bases||Potential Competitors|
(Use the following table in your response to part C in the task requirements)
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!