The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to explore the roles and competencies of the advanced practice nurse (APN).
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Examine roles and competencies of advanced practice nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care. (CO1)
- Explore the process of scholarship engagement to improve health and healthcare outcomes in various settings. (CO4)
Total Points Possible: 150
- A Week 2 Paper Template (Links to an external site.) to be used for your assignment is required for this assignment.
- The Roles in Advanced Nursing Practice paper is worth 150 points and will be graded on the quality of the content, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading criteria/rubric.
- Submit the paper as a Microsoft Word Document, which is the required format at Chamberlain University. You are encouraged to use the APA Academic Writer and Grammarly tools when creating your assignment.
- Follow the directions below and the
grading criteria located in the rubric closely. Any questions about this paper may be posted under the Q & A Forum or emailed to your faculty.
- The length of the paper should be 3-6 pages, excluding title page and reference page(s).
- Support ideas with a minimum of 2 scholarly resources. Scholarly resources do not include your textbook. You may need to use more than 2 scholarly resources to fully support your ideas.
- You may use first person voice when describing your rationale for choosing the CNP role and your plans for clinical practice.
- Current APA format is required with both a title page and reference page(s). Use the following as Level 1 headings to denote the sections of your paper (Level 1 headings use upper- and lower-case letters and are bold and centered):
- Roles in Advanced Practice Nursing (This is the paper introduction. In APA format, a restatement of the paper title, centered and bolded serves as the heading of the introduction section)
- Four APN Roles
- Rationale for Choosing CNP Role
- Plans for Clinical Practice
- Role Transition
- Introduction: Provide an overview of what will be covered in the paper. The introduction should include general statements on advanced practice nursing roles, general statements on the role transition from RN to APN, and identification of the purpose of the paper.
- Four APN Roles: Describe the role, educational preparation, and work environment for the four APN roles (CNP, CNS, CRNA & CNM). Provide support from at least one scholarly source.
- Rationale for Choosing CNP Role: Describe your rationale for choosing the CNP advanced practice role versus one of the other roles.
- Plans for Clinical Practice: Discuss your plans for clinical practice after graduation. Explain how your understanding of NP practice has changed after researching the four ANP roles.
- Role Transition: Discuss your transition from the RN role to the NP role. Describe two factors that may impact your transition. Discuss two strategies you will use to support a successful transition from the RN to your NP role. Provide reference support from at least one scholarly source. The textbook is not a scholarly source.
- Conclusion: Provide a conclusion, including a brief summary of what you discussed in the paper.
1. In this presentation, we will be going over the requirements for your week 2 paper: Roles in Advanced Practice Nursing
2. During your education in the MSN program at Chamberlain, you will be transitioning from being a bachelor’s prepared nurse to function as an advanced practice master’s prepared nurse. The purpose of this paper is to give you an opportunity to explore some of the possible roles and competencies associated with being an APN.
The assignment will address course outcomes 1 and 4.
The due date for the assignment is Tuesday 11:59 p.m. MST during Week 2. Please submit the paper to the Roles in Advanced Nursing Practice dropbox.
The Total Points Possible for the assignment is 150.
3. The assignment should be created using Microsoft Word. It will be graded on the quality of information you provide. Be sure to support your work with scholarly resources and include citations in APA format. Follow the rules for Standard English grammar and sentence structure. Content should be well-organized with appropriate transitions between paper sections.
Also, be sure to follow the assignment instructions and rubric closely. Scroll down in the assignment guidelines to see the criteria and point distribution.
If you have questions, please email or WhatsApp.
4. The paper should be 3-6 pages in length, excluding the title and reference pages. APA format is required, with both a title page and reference page.
Be sure to support ideas with a minimum of 2 scholarly sources. If you are not sure what constitutes a scholarly source, please review the information provided in the course overview recording contained in the Start Here portion of your course. Just a reminder, textbooks, course lessons, blogs, Wikis, and CINAHL nursing guides are not considered scholarly sources.
Also, while the minimum requirement is that you use material from at least two scholarly sources, it is expected that you provide appropriate reference support throughout the paper. You should have a reference citation for any ideas that are not your own and are not common knowledge. You may use first-person voice when describing your rationale for choosing the CNP role and your personal plans for clinical practice.
5. Be sure to include section headings in your paper. Including headings will make your paper easier to follow and will help you to be sure that you’ve covered all the required content. Information about how to format section headings is contained on page 62 of your APA Publication Manual. The first section of your paper is an introduction. In APA format, the heading of the introductory section should be a restatement of the paper title, not the word Introduction.
6. The first section of your paper is the introduction. As noted on the previous slide, the heading for this section should be the restatement of the paper title. Your introduction should provide a brief overview of what will be covered in the paper. Include some general statements on advanced practice nursing roles and role transitions. This section should also identify the purpose of the paper.
7. In the next section, you will describe the four APN roles. The roles are Certified Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Certified Nurse Midwife and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. For each role, you should provide:
a) an overview of the job functions,
b) educational preparation,
c) Work environment.
You will need to provide support from at least 1 scholarly source.
8. In the next section, you will describe your rationale for choosing the NP role rather than one of the other APN roles. What is it about the NP role that appeals to you? It is appropriate to use first-person voice in this section.
9. In the next section, describe your plans for clinical practice after graduation.
A) What practice environment do you envision working in?
B) What patient population?
C) What is your understanding of the NP role that may have changed after researching the four roles?
D) Is your desired practice environment or patient population consistent with the role and practice environment for an NP?
– If you do not feel that your understanding of the role has changed, you may choose to discuss why you don’t feel that it has changed. For example, you may have researched the role thoroughly before enrolling in the program or you may work with a lot of NPs.
10. Transitioning from the RN to the APN role is a big change. In this section of the paper, I’d like you to take some time to consider what the role transition might involve for you.
a). What factors might impact your ability to make the transition? For example, you may have supportive mentors in your current practice environment, or you may have a busy schedule and you are worried about time constraints when it comes to completing your clinical hours.
b) After you’ve considered factors that could impact your transition, describe two strategies you could, personally use to support a successful transition. While you may find it helpful to review the chapter 30 content on role transition in your DeNisco and Barker textbook, you will want to go into the library and search for a scholarly article on the topic of RN to APN role transition.
11. The conclusion of your paper should include a brief summary of what you discussed as well as a sentence or two tying everything together.
Roles in Advanced Practice Nursing
Student Full Name
Department and University Name
Course Full Title
Instructor Full Name
Roles in Advanced Practice Nursing
The certified nurse practitioner (CNP) is one role that provides primary, specialty, and acute health care services to ensure the lifespan wellness of patients. The role cuts across different departments, including assessing patients and diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries. Additionally, CNPs are a part of the health care team practicing autonomously to improve skills in diverse areas like pediatrics, family practice, internal medicine, women’s health care, and geriatrics (Fuller, 2020). CNPs are equipped with skills to diagnose and treat people
Please click the following link to purchase the full answer. Also, you can order customized paper now.
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!