In this assessment, you will demonstrate competence in developing professional presence, promoting mindfulness in healthcare, establishing a social presence, and building a culture of workplace joy in your professional practice. These concepts are at the forefront of the healthcare movement and are recognized as essential to all disciplines of care, including nursing.
First, you will complete a mind map and a force field analysis to develop strategies designed to promote joy in the workplace. Then, you will review the social and emotional intelligence power skills—self-awareness, self-management, interpersonal communication, executive function, and social awareness. You will discuss how these power skills can be used to handle difficult workplace situations and implement joy in the workplace. You should reflect on how you can apply each power skill to address conflict and incivility in creating a culture of joy in work.
Finally, you will use your review and self-reflection of the social and emotional intelligence power skills to write a thoughtful reflection paper formatted in APA style. The body of this paper should include what you learned from your reflection, mind map, and force field analysis.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. The similarity report that is provided when you submit your task can be used as a guide.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Tasks may not be submitted as cloud links, such as links to Google Docs, Google Slides, OneDrive, etc., unless specified in the task requirements. All other submissions must be file types that are uploaded and submitted as attachments (e.g., .docx, .pdf, .ppt).
Note: This task should be uploaded as a separate attachment or attachments and should not be included in the e-portfolio or submitted as a link.
A. Create a computer-generated mind map that identifies a main idea that contributes to or impedes joy in work and includes the following factors:
• three individual factors
• three team or department factors
• three organizational factors
Note: This assessment requires you to submit an original computer-generated diagram. You may use the software program of your choice. Save and submit your mind map as a PDF or Word document (i.e., DOC or DOCX). Using another file type may cause the file to be too large to submit.
Note: A “main idea” could be a concept, a strategy, or an idea.
B. Using the attached “Force Field Analysis Template,” complete a force field analysis that includes the following components:
• one recommendation of a social communication strategy or technology strategy for implementing the “Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Framework for Improving Joy in Work” (see Supporting Documents) in the workplace
• five facilitating forces for implementing the recommendation
• five restraining forces against implementing the recommendation
• one score for each of the ten identified forces
• one “Facilitating Forces Total Score”
• one “Restraining Forces Total Score”
• one “Force Field Analysis Total Score”
Note: This assessment requires you to complete the force field analysis using the “Force Field Analysis Template” in the Supporting Documents section. Save and submit your force field analysis as a PDF or Word document (i.e., DOC or DOCX). Using another file type may cause the file to be too large to submit.
C. Write a reflection paper (suggested length of 4-6 pages) discussing how to use social and emotional intelligence power skills to handle difficult workplace situations and implement joy in the workplace by doing the following:
1. Describe, using scholarly sources, how advanced professional nurses can manage difficult workplace situations by using each of the following social and emotional intelligence power skills:
• interpersonal communication
• executive function
• social awareness
2. Describe how you, as an advanced professional nurse, would use two of the social and emotional intelligence power skills in the workplace to achieve each of the following results:
• a professional presence
• enhanced mindfulness in healthcare
• a positive social presence to promote a sense of caring and belonging
• a culture of joy to solve the problem of incivility in the workplace and initiate organizational change
3. Discuss how you, as an advanced professional nurse leader, would implement the four steps from the “IHI Framework for Improving Joy in Work” (see Supporting Documents) in the workplace, including one strategy for each of the four steps.
4. Include three or more scholarly sources in your reflection paper.
D. Incorporate the following components of APA style and formatting:
• bias-free language
• APA-specific rules regarding verb tense, voice, and perspective
• a title page
• in-text citations and references
• APA-specific formatting rules for margins, spacing, numbering, and indentation for the title page and main body of your paper, including headers, bulleted and numbered lists, and tables and figures
Reflection Summary SEI
Professional Presence and Influence – D024
Western Governors University
Jessica Bechard, Ph.D., RN
December 20, 2022
Reflection Summary SEI
Self-management and self-awareness are essential power skills for nurses to promote professional presence in their workplace. They are the building blocks of positive psychology and professional growth (Kim & Sohn, 2019). Their application enables nurses to develop a mindful approach to healthcare, a positive social presence to promote a sense of care and belonging, and a culture of joy that can help combat the problem of incivility. According to Aránega et al. (2020), mindfulness in healthcare is based on developing an awareness of the present moment and is essential for nurses to provide optimal care.
Self-awareness can help nurses recognize their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors and how they affect their interactions with patients and colleagues. Through self-awareness, nurses can recognize how their own emotions can shape their care and be mindful of how their behavior can influence others (Kim & Sohn, 2019). Self-management skills can help nurses to develop