ASTHMA AND STEPWISE MANAGEMENT
Asthma is a respiratory disorder that affects children and adults. Advanced practice nurses often provide treatment to patients with these disorders. Sometimes patients require immediate treatment, making it essential that you recognize and distinguish minor asthma symptoms from serious, life-threatening ones. Since symptoms and attacks are often induced by a trigger, advanced practice nurses must also help patients identify their triggers and recommend appropriate management options. Like many other disorders, there are various approaches to treating and managing care for asthmatic patients depending on individual patient factors.
One method that supports the clinical decision making of drug therapy plans for asthmatic patients is the stepwise approach, which you explore in this Assignment.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
- Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2021). Lehne’s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice nurses and physician assistants (2nd ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Chapter 62, “Drugs for Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease” (pp. 557–579)
- Chapter 63, “Drugs for Allergic Rhinitis, Cough, and Colds” (pp. 580–588)
- Reflect on drugs used to treat asthmatic patients, including long-term control and quick relief treatment options for patients. Think about the impact these drugs might have on patients, including adults and children.
- Consider how you might apply the stepwise approach to address the health needs of a patient in your practice.
- Reflect on how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
BY DAY 7 OF WEEK 3
Create a 5- to 6-slide PowerPoint presentation that can be used in a staff development meeting on presenting different approaches for implementing the stepwise approach for asthma treatment. Be sure to address the following:
- Describe long-term control and quick relief treatment options for the asthma patient from your practice as well as the impact these drugs might have on your patient.
- Explain the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management for your patient.
- Explain how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease. Be specific.
Asthma and Stepwise Management
- Asthma results from an inflammation of the airways (Rosenthal and Burchum, 2021).
- The inflammation can be a result of an immune response to known allergens.
- In some cases, the cause of airway inflammation is unknown (Rosenthal & Burchum, 2021).
- The main drugs for treating asthma are anti-inflammatory agents such as glucocorticoids and bronchodilators such as β2 agonists.
- Long-term control: Asthma patients can be treated with glucocorticoids delivered on a fixed schedule, usually by inhalation (Rosenthal & Burchum, 2021).
Quick relief: Asthma patients can be treated with β2 agonists delivered on a fixed
Please click the following button to purchase the full answer. Also, you can order customized paper now.
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!